Saturday, November 19, 2011

Passionate About Fresh Roasted Tomatoes and Omelets at 1922 Starkey House Bed & Breakfast Inn

I really enjoy preparing many variations of omelets for my guests when they visit here along Seneca Lake in the Finger Lakes Region of upstate New York.

Omelets made with roasted grape tomatoes, bananas drizzled with local honey, and sliced,
grilled French baguette at 1922 Starkey House Bed & Breakfast Inn
located along Seneca Lake in the Finger Lakes

Pictured above is an omelet I served my guests this morning made with grape tomatoes that I purchased at the Finger Lakes Produce Auction at the end of the summer. They are a beautiful combination of chopped ham, minced sweet red onion, the tomatoes, and grated cheddar cheese. I like to use a sharp cheddar but of course, you can choose any other that suits your taste.

I prepare the grape tomatoes ahead of time. I split them, spread them out, inside up, on a large bake sheet and drizzle them with a little olive oil, a good balsamic vinegar, a grind of sea salt and pepper, then roast them for one hour at 300 degrees. 

I then remove them, let them cool and bag them in small (non-freezer) zip lock bags, in small portions. Next, I fill a larger freezer bag with them so that they are protected while freezing, but still individually wrapped all ready for me to take out the desired amount each time based on what I am cooking.

Yes, this is a labor of love but the end result is a delish morsel of tomato flavor. You would think that I added sugar but the natural goodness and sweetness comes out when you roast these little gems. The balsamic adds a little sweetness, too. These can then be used for soups, chopped into omelets, savory breads, or simply spread on a crisp toasted baguette. 

Another variation of this recipe and method can be found on Food Network by clicking here.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Post your comment